Have you ever heard strange car noises? Every vehicle has its own distinctive sound. You know your car better than anyone when it comes to noise, and you would notice if something sounded off or abnormal. Even with all the modern vehicle diagnostics built into vehicles, there is no substitute for listening to your car.
Some car noises require a trip to your mechanic immediately. But, how do you know if the noise you are hearing needs to be repaired right away? Here are five vehicle noises that you may be hearing and should not ignore.
Don’t Ignore These 5 Car Noises!
- Squealing While Braking – You do not want to overlook squealing, grinding, or scraping noises coming from your brakes. Squealing is the first sign that your brake pads need to be replaced. It is not vital to go to a mechanic immediately, but you should make an appointment with your favorite auto repair shop for brake repairs as soon as you can. If you delay too long, the squeal will turn to grinding and you may have to replace your rotors as well.
- Knocking Sounds – Most commonly, knocking sounds in the engine are caused by using a lower-rated fuel than your car requires. Your owner’s manual will have the recommended octane rating for your vehicle. If using the recommended fuel does not eliminate the noise, you should have your car checked by a mechanic.
- Hissing From Your Car Engine – A hissing sound coming from your engine after you turn your vehicle off is a sign of a leak. It could be coolant or oil leaking onto a heated engine part, a vacuum line could be leaking, or the engine could be overheating. Hissing car noises usually require a trip to your mechanic right away. If your engine is overheating, do not drive it.
- Squealing on Acceleration – Squealing when you accelerate usually indicates a belt is loose or slipping. This should be taken care of before a belt snaps or pops off when you are driving.
- Rattling Beneath Your Car – A rattling sound beneath your car is usually the sound of a worn exhaust system. The exhaust system is made up of many parts that can become rusty or loose over time. If you suspect that your exhaust system needs some repairs, take it in as soon as you can because you run the risk of part of it falling off while driving.
Expert Auto Repairs – We’re At Your Service!
Strange car sounds can be scary. But, whenever you hear them, our auto repair shop is here for you! Our primary focus is to repair every vehicle correctly and in a timely manner. We are also committed to open and friendly communication with all of our clients. We offer complimentary shuttle service and free loaner cars to ensure you can be where you need to be while we’re repairing your vehicle.
Let our expert automotive technicians provide a diagnosis for you. Give us a call or schedule an appointment online for a day and time that is best for you!