You depend on your vehicle to get you from point A to point B. You also expect it to work for you when you need it. But, there may come a day when you go outside and… your car won’t start! Before calling a mechanic, we have a few things you may want to try.
Common Reasons Your Car Won’t Start
There are several reasons why your car may not start. It could simply be your steering wheel is locked, you are not in Park, or your gas tank is empty. Here are a few more things you could try if your car won’t start.
- Dead battery. The most common reason a car won’t start is a dead battery. The starter may turn slowly or not turn at all. There are many reasons why a battery may die, from leaving a dome light on or from simply being old. Try jump-starting your car. If this works, the problem is your battery!
- Battery Corrosion. Corrosion on the battery cables can restrict the flow of power. If the corrosion is noticeable, try cleaning the battery posts to make sure there is a clean and complete connection and try to start your car again.
- Starter. You will know your car is not starting due to a faulty starter if you only hear a clicking noise when turning the key. While starters have gotten more reliable over the years, they still need to be replaced occasionally.
- Timing Belt. The timing belt is a very important maintenance item in your engine and needs to be replaced around 60,000 miles. If the timing belt fails, it will cause catastrophic engine damage.
- Fuel Filter. If the fuel filter is clogged, fuel cannot reach the engine and replacement is usually needed. Newer cars will give a specific code if there’s an issue in the fuel system.
- Fuel. It may seem obvious, but sometimes we forget to check the fuel gauge.
- Steering Lock. As an anti-theft feature, some cars’ steering wheels will lock when parked. If your car won’t start, try nudging the steering wheel left or right as you turn the key and it should unlock.
When In Doubt, Call Your Mechanic!
If you are still not sure why your car won’t start, get in touch with your trusted auto repair shop. The expert automotive technicians at We-Fix-It Auto Repair can provide a diagnosis for you. We offer complimentary shuttle service and free loaner cars to ensure you can be where you need to be while we’re repairing your vehicle.
Give us a call or schedule an appointment online for a day and time that works best for you!