There are many benefits to maintaining your older car. With the price of vehicles going up recently, there has never been a better time to keep the vehicle you already have. To improve the longevity of your car or truck, you have to take care of it.
How to Maintain an Older Car
Here are 7 things you can do to keep your vehicle running for as long as possible:
- Change fluids and filters regularly. There are several different vehicle fluids … oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, etc… It is important to change those fluids regularly. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended mileage between fluid changes.
- Replace the timing belt every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Most modern cars have a timing belt or chain that keeps your engine running smoothly. Timing chains last longer, but if your timing belt snaps, you will have to replace your engine.
- Invest in the best wheels, tires, and brakes. Tires and brakes are two of the most important parts on your car. Cheap tires can wear faster or unevenly, causing wear and tear on your car’s suspension. Spending a little more now could save you money over the long haul.
- Drive it regularly. This will keep metal parts lubricated and keep hoses and gaskets from drying out.
- Replace your spark plugs. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended mileage between replacement. One bad spark plug can make your engine work harder than it needs to.
- Keep it clean. Frequent washing can keep your car sparkling and prevent rust. Catching spills, vacuuming and shampooing the interior can keep it looking new. A clean car will also hold up the resale value for when you decide to sell it.
- Find a good mechanic. Don’t wait until your vehicle is being towed before you start thinking about finding a mechanic. Do your homework now. Check for certification, ask questions, look at reviews and ask your friends for recommendations.
Trust Your Auto Repairs to the Experts
At We-Fix-It Auto Repair, we take immense pride in our work, including helping you to maintain an older car. Our primary focus is to repair every vehicle correctly and in a timely manner. We stand behind every repair we do, and a vast majority of our work is covered by a three-year, 36,000 mile warranty.
We can maintain your older car for a rewarding long-term ownership. Contact us today to ask any question you may have!